(The new olive oil Tuscan Soup)
for 4-6 people
- 300 g dry Cannellini or Borlotti beans
- 3 cloves of garlic, with the skin on
- A sprig of fresh sage
- 300 g sprigs of Cavolo Nero (Tuscan kale), torn in pieces
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and diced
- 300 g of pulp of sweet orange pumkin, diced
- 1 medium size white onion, thinly sliced
- 100 ml fresh milled evo
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of Tuscan bread
- Salt to taste
Soak the beans over night then drain and cook in a large pot with 3 lt of water, starting cold with 1 tbsp oil, sage and garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 1 and ½ h. or until soft. Add salt to taste at the end of the cooking.
In a large pan heat the oil then add the onion and cook for 15 minute at medium heat. Add the garlic and the vegetables, add the broth of the beans (about 2 lt) and simmer for 20 minutes. Mash the ¾ of the beans and add them to the potatoes and the pumkin, add the remaining broth and the remaining whole beans. Add salt to taste and let it simmer for ½ h. Toast the bread and rub with little garlic. Place the slices of bread into individual bowls and pour the soup on top (the soup should be quite thick). Add oil and pepper. It can be served in a large serving bowl after resting for about 15 minutes before serving.